Mandi or Kuzhimanti is a food item from Yemen. Mandi is popular among the Arab people at weddings and other celebrations. Manti, which is also popular in Kerala, is cooked in pits. Let’s take a look at how to make mandi with a lot of flavor without the pit.
You can make mandi with chicken or mutton wi To prepare the mandi, you first need to prepare a spice.
Ingredients needed to prepare manti
- 1 kg Chicken with skin
- 3 Maggie Chicken Cube
- 1 tbsp Mandi Masala
- 1 tsp Crushed pepper
- 1/4 tsp Red Food Color (optional)
- 1/4 cup Refined oil
- 1 finely chopped Onion
- 1 Chopped capsicum
- 1 tbsp chopped Coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp Mint leaves
- 3 cups of log grain Basmati rice
- 1/4 tsp Saffron
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 Cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 dried lemon
- 1 tbsp refined oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 green chillies
- red food color/beetroot juice
- a small piece of charcol or coconut shell
Ingredients required for manti masala
- 1 tbsp Coriander
- 6 Dried red chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp pepper
- a small piece nutmeg
- 1/2 dried lemon
- 1 star anise
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cardamom
- 5 cloves
- a small piece of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Roast Ingredients other than turmeric powder, on low heat for 5 minutes without adding oil. Turn off the heat,add turmeric powder and allow it to cool. Transfer the spices in a mixer jar, and grind into a fine powder.
How to prepare chicken manti
- Marinate chicken with Maggi Chicken Cube, Crushed pepper , Manthi Masala and Red Food Color (optional) and leave for at least 2 hours (If you do not have Maggi Chicken Cube, add a little ginger, garlic paste and salt instead).
- Soak 1/4 tsp of saffron in hot milk. If you do not have saffron, you can mix 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder with milk.
- Wash the basmati rice well and soak it in water for half an hour.
- Heat 1/4 cup of refined oil in a large biriyani pot. Add chopped onion and capsicum and fry. Add a little coriander and mint leaves and arrange the marinated chicken pieces. Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Turn after 10 minutes and cover again.
- Meanwhile, boil 10 cups of water in another pot. Add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, dried lemon, a tablespoon of refined oil and a teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. When it boils well, add the soaked rice. When it is 80% cooked, drain.
- The chicken is now well cooked. Remove half the chicken pieces from the pan. Arrange cooked rice and add 6 green chillies to the rice. Pour in the pre-soaked saffron to get a nice color. Instead of saffron, you can add turmeric powder. Grate beetroot and squeeze a little juice to get red color.Arrange chicken pieces on top.
- Heat a piece of charcoal/coconut shell on direct flame until it is sred hot, this will take about 5 minutes.Once the charcoal is burning hot, place it in the bowl of oil that is in the rice.Cover immediately with a tight lid / aluminium foil.
- Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- To serve, spread rice onto a large serving tray and place a piece of chicken on the top.