Kaniyappam is a sweet made for Vishu. Let's see how to make Kaniyappam. Kaniyappam can be made like Unniyappam and Neyyappam.
- 1 cup raw rice
- 1/2 cup jaggery
- 3 cardamoms
- 3 small Banana
- a pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1tbsp ghee
- 1/4 cup coconut slices
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- Ghee - for frying
How to prepare
- Wash the rice thoroughly and soak them in water for two hours.rain the water and spread it for half an hour on a cotton cloth. Add cardamom to the rice and grind well.
- Add a little water to the jaggery, boil it and strain it
- Mix rice flour with banana paste,jaggery syrup,salt and baking soda ( Idli batter consistency).
- Heat ghee and fry coconut slices till brown.Switch off heat and add sesame seeds and fennel seeds. Add into the prepared batter and mix well.Kepp the batter aside for 2 hours.
- Heat an unniyappakara with coconut oil / ghee in each hole and fill 3/4th of the hole with prepared batter. Cook in low-medium flame until the side turns golden brown. Now flip the appam using the spatula and cook the other side until they are fully done.