- 2 cups Puttu Podi
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 500 grams boneless chicken /beef /mutton
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 4 sliced onions
- 1" piece of ginger
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 4 Green Chillies
- Curry leaves
- 1 Tomato
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1/4 cup of thick coconut milk
How to prepare
- Wet puttu flour with enough salt and water.Keep aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and add sliced onion, crushed ginger-garlic, finely chopped green chillies and curry leaves.
- When the onion turns translucent, add masala powders and fry till it raw smell goes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, chicken and enough salt.Cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes. No need to add water. ( If beef/ mutton used, pressure cook with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and salt and then add into the onion mix)
- When the masala is well cooked and dry, add thick coconut milk and mix well.Swich off heat when gravy thickens.
- Fill the puttu mold with prepared rice flour mixture ,grated coconut and meat mixture alternatively.Finish with final layer of grated coconut on the top.Close with the lid.
- Steam cook till you see the steam escaping through the holes of the lid.