Monday, December 31, 2012
Wednesday, December 26, 2012
Koova virakiyathu കൂവ വിരകിയത്
Monday, December 24, 2012
Saturday, December 22, 2012
White chocolate chips-1/4cup
Confectioner's sugar /powdered sugar -3/4 cup
Coconut flakes -1 cup
Water 1/8 cup + 1/4cup
Green food coloring 3-4 drops
Red m&m candies -40 nos
- Combine all-purpose flour,corn flour and baking powder.
- In a mixing bowl beat butter,vanilla extract and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg and melted white chocolate. Beat well.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well until combined.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper or aluminium foil.
- Place star nozzle in piping bag.Fill with cookie dough.Pipe the dough onto the baking tray
- On a lightly floured surface or roll out dough to 1/4 inches thickness .Cut with a 3" round cookie cutter and place it on the baking tray.Using another 1" cutter ,cut out the inner center and remove it.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack completely
- combine confectioner's sugar and 1/8 cup (2tbsp)water,mix well.
- In a sauce pan heat 1/4 cup water,green food colour and sugar.It become a two-thread consistancy, add coconut flakes and mix well.Allow to dry.
- Spread the cookies with glaze once cooled completely,sprinkle with colored coconut and finish off with red m&m candies. Wait for half an hour so that the topping and glaze sticks well.
Ginger garlic paste-1tbsp
4.Pearl onion(chopped) -1cup
Coriander leaves(chopped)-a handful
7.Busmati Rice-3 cups
Finely sliced onions -1
Cashew nuts - a handful
Raisins - a handful
- Marinate chicken with lemon juice,yoghurt,ginger garlic paste,turmeric powder,chilly powder,garam masala and salt.Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or overnight.
- Heat 1/2 cup ghee in a pan.Fry garnished portion of onions,cashewnuts and raisins.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a large non-stick pan.Add chicken and shallow fry on medium flame until all the sides of the chicken turn brown.Keep it aside.
- Heat 1tbsp ghee in a pressure cooker and fry cinnamon ,cardamom,cloves,bay leaf and fennel seeds.Add chopped onions,ginger,garlic and green chilly.It becomes translucent add crushed mint ,turmeric powder and tomato.Cook until tomatoes are tender.Now add fried chicken ,2tbsp yoghurt,1/2cup water and coriander leaves.Mix well.Cook for 2 whistles.
- After pressure releases,adjust salt and add cashew paste and 3cups water(water+gravy=4&1/2cups).Allow it to a boil.Add drained rice and close the cooker .Pessure cook on medium flame for a whistle.Wait for 10 minutes.Open the lid and garnish with fried onions ,cashew nuts ,raisins and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with raita
Tuesday, December 18, 2012
Urad dal/Uzhunnu parippu-3/4cup
Roasted cumin seed powder-1/2tsp
Roasted cumin seed powder
- Wash and soak urad dal in water for an hour.Drain all the water from the soaked urad dal.Grind it along with ginger,green chilly and salt to a thick paste.(add little water if required)
- Heat oil in a pan .Make small lemon sized balls from the batter and deep fry until golden brown.
- Soak fried vadas in warm water for 30 seconds.Take out and squeeze so as to remove the excess water from it.
- Beat yoghurt with chilly powder,roasted cumin seed powder and salt.
- Arrange vadas in a serving bowl. Pour the yoghurt mixture evenly so that all the vadas get covered completely.
- Garnish with Dates tamarind chutney,chilly powder,roasted cumin seed powder ,chat masala coriander leaves and sev.
Red chilly powder-1/2tsp
Roasted cumin seed powder-1/2tsp
Soak dates in 1 cup boiling water for 30 minutes.Blend all the ingredients together in a mixer until smooth.Add water if needed.
Boil till thick .Store in airtight containers and refrigerate.
Sunday, December 16, 2012
Cashew nuts-a handful
Saffron-a pinch (optional)
- Soak sago in 1/4 cup water for 10 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pan.Fry cashewnuts and raisins.Keep it aside.
- In the same ghee add vermicelli and fry on medium flame until golden brown
- Now add milk ,sago and cardamom.Once the milk comes to a boil,lower the flame.Cook until the vermicelli gets soft and the milk thickens slightly.Add sugar /condensed milk.Cook few more minutes and switch off flame.
- Garnish with cashewnuts,raisins and saffron strands.
Friday, December 14, 2012
Dry red Chilly-6-8
Fennel seeds-1/2 tsp
Pepper corns-1 tsp
Cinnamon-1 small piece
Ginger garlic paste-1tbsp
5.Coriander leaves-a handful
Curry leaves-2 springs
- Cut chicken into medium sized pieces.Marinate chicken with turmeric powder and salt for an hour.
- Dry roast second set of ingredients until the coconut turns a red brownish color.Add cashew nuts and grind it into a fine paste without adding water.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan and fry onions until translucent.Add ginger-garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes.
- Add curry leaves,tomatos,ground paste and chicken.Mix well.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle (no need to add water).Wait for the pressure to get released.
- Open the cooker and boil until gravy thickens.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Saturday, December 8, 2012
Light Brown sugar-1/2cup
- Preheat oven to 170degrees.
- Heat butter and brown sugar till it caramelize.Add cinnamon powder and pour in to a greased pan. Arrange apple slices over brown sugar mixture in the bottom of the pan.
- Combine dry ingredients together.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.Add eggs one bye one and beat well.Add dry ingredients to the mixture alternately with milk.Stir until just blended.
- Pour the mixture on the top of apple slices.
- Bake for 40 -45inutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Invert the cake on to a serving plate.
Tuesday, December 4, 2012
- 500 grams Onion
- 2 springs of curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida Powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- Salt-to taste
- 2 tbsp Maida
- 2 tbsp Gram flour
- Oil -for frying
Add sliced onions, curry leaves, turmeric powder, chilli powder, nutmeg powder and salt in a mixing bowl and knead well by hand.
Now add two tablespoons of maida and two tablespoons of gram flour. Knead well and make a thick dough.No need to add water.
Heat enough oil to fry the ullivada in a deep pan. Once the oil is hot, maintain the oil to be in low-medium heat.
Make small balls out of the dough and flatten it , carefully place it in hot oil.
Fry until crispy and golden in color on a low-medium heat. Flip to both sides several times, for even frying.
Monday, December 3, 2012
Garam masala powder-1/4tsp
- Grind chicken with ingredients 2 in a food processor.
- In a large bowl, mix ground chicken,onion ,coriander leaves ,mint leaves,cheese and olive oil.
- Shape into flat round shapes.Cover and refrigerate for 15minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and shallow fry until both sides are brown and done.(9-10minutes each side)
Saturday, December 1, 2012
Curry leaves-3 springs
Chilly powder (dry roasted)- 1&1/2tsp
Coriander powder (dry roasted)-1tbsp
Cardamom-2 Cinnamon-1 piece,Cloves-3
Coconut milk-1/3 cup(optional)
- Add the second set of ingredients to mutton and mix well.Keep it aside for an hour.
- Pressure cook for one whistle,reduce flame to low and cook for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add onion and coconut pieces.Saute till brown.Add cooked mutton,curry leaves, pepper powder and garam masala powder.Adjust salt.
- Cook on low flame until mutton is roasted well.